Today is August 5, 2012. On this day 3 years ago at 5:40 PM EDT (GMT -4), TechAirlines took off for the very first time. It’s difficult to believe that its already been 3 years.
On April 1st, 2012, we announced on Facebook that TechAirlines would be renamed into TechBalloon to “save on fuel costs”. This was the first public hint at a new theme.
On April 5, 2012, we posted a preview of an upcoming theme on our Facebook page, mentioning that it would be “cleaner, simpler, and lighter”. Two days later, the new theme was officially launched. Codenamed “TechBalloon” because like balloons, the new theme is “cleaner, simpler, and lighter” than the old theme (jet planes).
As of July 2, 2012, our PrizeFly series returns! For those of you not aware of what this is, PrizeFly (formerly First Class Flyer) is the name for the series where the main features of a few similar or competing products or apps are reviewed and one product is crowned the “prized flyer”. Because it’s been quite a while since these were published and many apps were updated since then, some past comparisons will be repeated. There are few changes to the new series:
- It is no longer a weekly series on Fridays. Instead, it will be published every other Monday (biweekly).
- Each feature/category is assigned a weighted percentage. Each category was previously given equal weight, which generated significant criticism.
- No more “bonus” rounds.
- The final score is determined by the weighted average. The final score was previously a total.
As of July 16, 2012, we have implemented the following posting schedule in order to publish more frequently:
- PrizeFly articles every other Monday.
- Tips and Tricks posts every Tuesday and Friday. These posts include how-to guides, quick tips, and intros to interesting apps. A special focus is placed on productivity tips and apps.
- News whenever it happens.
History of Themes
TechAirlines has had many different looks, including several modifications for holidays. Click on an image to open a lightbox gallery. Which theme is your favorite?
TechAirlines needs your support to improve. If you want to help out, you can do one or more of the following:
- Our site is completely ad-free and makes absolutely no money. We intend for it to remain this way for as long as possible. Furthermore, we do not and never will accept sponsored posts. However, running the site is not free, so if you support what we’re doing and want us to continue moving further, consider making a donation.
- If you own a website/blog, you can help spread the word about us with one of our banners.
- If you want to contribute an article, consider signing up to be a guest author.
- Share our articles with your friends.
- Take our survey (See below).
Take Our Survey
What would you like to see more of on TechAirlines? What would you like to see less of? Answers to questions like these will help us improve our content. Please take our brief survey. Your answers will help us figure out what needs improvement. It should take no more than 5-10 minutes and all responses are anonymous. Thanks!
I would like to thank everyone for reading TechAirlines and for all the support everyone has given for the past 3 years. Let’s make Year 4 even better!